You are here
TThe Autism Extension Program (AEP) is an endorsed educational program for students with High Functioning Autism from year 7 to 10, resourced by the School of Special Educational Needs. Student with a recognised diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder can apply for selection to the program from within or outside boundaries for Ocean Reef Senior High.
An applicant will need to meet the following criteria
• Is academically capable of understanding and coping with grade level content and tasks
• Manages behaviour independently or through the use of pre-determined prompts/strategies
• Independently manages personal care
• Carers/Parents will ensure safe transport to and from the AEP
The following documentation will need to be provided in support of an application
• Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (reports from Paediatrician, Psychologist and Speech Pathologist )
• Recent school report
• Most recent NAPLAN report
• Signed permission to release and exchange information form
The program provides education and support for the social/emotional development and regulation for students with a diagnosis of high functioning autism, who have the potential to achieve academic success in mainstream schooling and beyond. Students attend lessons in mainstream classrooms, the AEP homeroom, as well as community settings.
Some of the AEP’s key features are a private courtyard for safe and quiet breaks, a homeroom for study and organisation support, specialised education assistants and teacher support, as well as Very Important Life Skills (VILS) lessons. The students’ school program is individualised based on best educational autism practice.